Sunday, December 7, 2008

Grand Sites

Today while we were shopping, I heard the distinct sound of bad elevator music ala Christmas carols. It was something like Johhny Matthis greatest hits of Christmas. As I was wondering through the Christmas trees, decorations, and scads of toys everywhere, I forgot for a brief moment that I was in Kuwait. It could have been the Target in Fergus Falls (a fine store).

For the past two days I've travelled to the Heritage (Old) Souk marketplace to see if I could find the perfect gift for our German wedding (the brother of our exchange student is getting married and we're invited). Of course when you really want to find something, it's not there.

But I did learn a lot more about Iranian rugs and maybe someday we'll purchase one. As soon as we save up. They're not cheap.

I got a great laugh today as we were shopping and saw several lifesize lambs for sale (stuffed toy type). Today is the first day of the Winter Eid and many lambs (real ones) Have been sacrificed for tonight's meal. It just seemed a little weird to see a "toy" knowing that the real counterpart was being prepared for the platter.

It's fits in with the general theme of "you think you've seen everything then something else surprises you."

Like yesterday we were driving down Gulf Road (that would be the one right along the Arabian Gulf!) and we saw (and I kid you not) a little monkey dressed up in a t-shirt riding on the dashboard of this large SUV. No kidding. I guess someone had been at the animal souk and decided that it would be fun to have a monkey.

Just an average day in Kuwait, when you think you've seen everything, then something surprises you.

No comments: