Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Looks Can be Deceiving



While we were in the Dubai airport last week, a crowd of men wearing dishtashas (the long white robes you see in this picture) was gathered around. A photographer was taking pictures and they were all smiling and posing.
It seemed like it was important so I pointed my camera and took a picture.

I have no idea if there was someone IMPORTANT was there,(like royalty) or if it was a convention of the national Dishtasha Wearers United (DWU)or if it was a bunch of men who decided to get dressed up and take a family picture.

NO I AM NOT PURPOSELY BEING IRREVERANT (though you know I am capable!)
I'm merely pointing out that when one doesn't understand the culture (as I don't clearly understand this culture) and one sees something that looks mildly interesting (as the site of these men gathering for a picture), then the imagination takes over and "stories" are developed.

Imagine how interesting it would look to a foreigner to see someone dancing to Y-M-C-A?! Think about the things that you do and no one questions: placing our hand over our hearts during the playing of the National Anthem (a student asked me the other day why I did that) or eating Turkey for Thanksgiving or any number of "automatic" things.

Learning a culture is hard. Fitting in is hard.Making judgements based on appearances is "dangerous" and can also be comical.

For example:
Today I am wearing black pants, an orangish top and a suitcoat with pinstripes in it. I was talking to another teacher at lunch and here's what happened:
*Two students come up to us and appear to want to talk to their teacher
*NWB disappears giving the students their chance to speak privately with their teacher
Students: "Miss, what's going to be on the test today"
CC: "You mean you interrupted a conversation between me and my friend to ask me a question like that?"
Students: "Well Miss she was dressed like a lawyer and we thought you were in trouble. We came to save you."

Somedays here one just has to laugh.