Monday, January 24, 2011

Random Thoughts--Another Continuing Series

Today while monitoring tests for students in grades 9-12 (about 250 students), I noticed that Anna was the only blonde/redheaded child in the room. Most Arabs students are black hair, deep brown eyes. It reminded me of the time when the Pelican Rapids Tigers soccer team played the Moorhead soccer team. There were two blonde haired boys total on both teams--Ben and my cousin's son Eric.
************
When I listen to the news (BBC or CNN only here) and learn of upsetting events in Tunesia, Eqypt, Lebanon, Ireland, I pay more attention because I know people who are directly affected by these events. One of my friends here father is a VIP in the Lebanese government. She says the family is scared for their future and possibly their lives. Really puts things in perspective.
************
We enjoyed ourselves perhaps a little too much on our Spain vacation. As a result, we're surviving on just $21 in our bank account until Tuesday when we get paid (We live off my salary and save David's in an account in PR). It's been a little like being in college again, although we haven't resorted to eating macaroni and cheese...yet. When I feel sorry for myself (not often), I have to pinch myself back to reality and remember that in my former life it would have taken me two years (or more) to save for vacations. It's a very tempting lifestyle we live here with the ability to travel at will. (one of the reasons why we are so low on funds is that I just booked a flight to Dubai yesterday)
*************
Ben is returning to the Middle East...this time for vacation! His sister had a royal kitty fit when she heard that her brother wasn't coming to her graduation so she pulled out all the guilt words in a facebook message. It'll be nice to have Ben see us in our world and not the world of War that he knows the middle east.

No comments: