Monday, May 18, 2009

Two Degrees of Seperation



You've heard me talk about this one before--the theory where you can meet anyone in the world through a maximum of 6 contacts ("Degrees of seperation"). I am fascinated by this idea and love to see it in action. Here's two examples that happened to me this weekend:

1) As I sit down by the pool next to my friend POD, who is the #2 man in the US Embassy here in Kuwait, I am holding Hilary Clinton's Biography, "Living History". Peter looks at the book and says
"yeah, I was with her two weeks ago when she was in Kuwait"
"Oh?" I say, "I didn't know she was there".
"It was kept under the radar. She stopped in while on her way to Iraq"
"How was she?"
"Nicer than I thought she would be"
--which is also my conclusion after reading her book.

2) Because I'm also fascinated by Failika Island, I found the General Manager of the hotel and had a long conversation with him about developing the island. In the course of the conversation he says,
"Oh yes, well you know that Tony Blair was here in March"
(I did know that because I read the GM's diary online)
"Yes" I said. "How was he?"
"Well he's very nice and very tall. But not nearly as nice as Prince Charles"
(The GM had presented Charlie with a falika island gift when he visited the British Embassy in Kuwait late last year)
"But actually Camilla and Denise (his wife) got along quite famously. You know they're both horse people".
I left it at that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh...thanks for reducing my own degrees of separation (for these history-making people) to 3! :-)