Thursday, May 28, 2009

One way to my heart is through my stomach





Food here is GOOOOOD. We regularily sample Lebanese, Kuwaiti, Indian, Chinese,and Thai foods. Our maid Mali is from Sri Lanka and I'm not really sure what she cooks, but it's good.

The other night we were at the AWARE center, which is an establishment dedicated to improving relations between Arabs and Westerners. If they are working on that by going for our hearts through our stomachs, then they've convinced me. Here are a couple pictures of my favorite things. I am not sure of the names but I will try and describe them to you.
Photo 1: They really know how to set a table here. I've seen more ways to use fish as a centerpiece than I ever knew possible.This is one side of a three sided buffet.
Photo 2: My favorite main dish is this one with Chicken and Rice. It's similar to a dish that I've sampled cooked by Somalian women. Before I leave, I will have the recipe, but I don't know if I'll ever own a cooking pot this big.
Photo 3: This colorful dish is my ALL TIME FAVORITE. It's "fried" cheese-not Velveeta but a white cheese. The orange is a sweet, crunchy, fiberous covering. It's served warm and I just love this. A Million ten calories but worth every bite.
Photo 4: Each meal begins with an offering of dates and sweets to "break" the fast. I like this tradition, even if I don't like dates. But they are growing on me.

No comments: