Sunday, May 3, 2009

Bathing Beauty of Kuwait

We took an opportunity to go to the Beach on Saturday. It was our first time actually swimming in the Persian (oops!) I mean, Arabian Gulf (remember an earlier reference to the fact that, in Kuwait, one does NOT refer to the Gulf-or anything for that matter, as Persian). It was fun and it was true, one really does float better in salt water than fresh water.

My girlfriend Gorgeous asked me (on Facebook) how one swims in all those clothes? (assuming that I did in fact have to cover up on the beach). It's HARD to swim covered up!! I wore pants and a beach coverup over my swimsuit for modesty and respect to the other women at the beach in full cover. It takes a lot of work (makes for a better workout, that's for sure!)

The pictures below show just how unfair it is...Men can be in their full SKIN and women are expected to cover up. This was a public beach however. When we stayed at the Palms Resort a while ago, it was very common to see women in their bathing suits.

Oh well, just another way to stop from getting skin cancer!!

PS Contrary to what you may be thinking, we will NOT be returning to North America with Tans. The sky is so filled with dust here that the rays of the sun don't produce a tanning effect unless one is out in the sun alot! David's photoray glasses don't even work here! So I'll be a white whale just like the rest of you!!


This is not me, but an unknown modest Muslim woman sitting by the beach

1 comment:

Jewaira said...

I saw a woman once sunbathing in a turquoise bikini in front of Marina Crescent and no one even batted an eyelash (except for me who noted it as it is unusual)

Don't let the haze fool you..you can get a nasty sunburn if you stay out too long without protection