Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Hot Weather rants



I've written alot this past year about weather. How hot it is, how cold it is (I know some of you still want to smack me), how dusty it is.

It's just an amazing place--today it is so hot (at least I think so). I worry about my son in Iraq, where, my students tell me, it is hotter and dustier than here. The other day he wrote and told me that he was not going to buy a summer uniform because he was trying to save money.

BUY HIS OWN UNIFORM?
Thisdanced around in my head...how come they have to purchase their own uniforms?! I was angry, I was worried, I was frustrated. If someone reading this blog can tell me why US soldiers have to purchase their own uniforms, I would love to know. When all this money is wasted for armed forces purchased (the stories of the $100 hammer etc), why does these young people have to spend money on their basic needs when they are defending freedom?

After doing some checking with our Armydude friend, a wonderful young army contractor who works in Iraq but lives in Kuwait. He has taken pity on me and helps me by trying to explain things for me. AD did some checking and found a possible resource for me to spend $260 for my son's uniform. I would gladly pay for it because I KNOW HOW HOT it is here.

I gave all the information I found out to Ben, who is checking things out on his end. I am hopeful that he will find a summer cotton uniform that he can wear. I don't want him in danger of heat exhaustion with everything else.

Someone mentioned that I don't write alot about Ben. The truth is, I can't right now. Some days I can't even think about him except to pray. Hard. We're proud of him and what he believes in. If you've followed our family for the past 21 years, you know that life hasn't always been easy for our son. He's doing something he believes in and for very valid reasons (at least to him). I've learned a lot about my son during this experience. And I've learned that I can be patient as I haven't heard his voice since Feb 1st.

We had a sign in our home in PR (now it's in storage...somewhere) that says
There are two things we can give our children...Roots and Wings. I think Roots was easier.
Bless you Spud and all women and men in the Armed Services.

No comments: