Saturday, April 18, 2009

It must be Spring



Snow is melting in Minnesota (so people tell me) and here in Kuwait, the weather is turning Spring Like. Ha Ha--more like it's right into summer!! Temps will soon be in the 80s and 90s. And don't even start with the "oh but it feels less because of the lack of humidity". It's soon just going to be damn hot.

We are having a few of those interesting dust storms where all of a sudden, there's a cloud over everything. Flags go up around the school--yellow for mildly severe dust and red for severe warning. Kids with Asthma (more than average) stay inside as much as possible, which is sort of impossible here because our school is all open. Meaning I walk outside my classroom door and can walk right outside. There are very few interior only halls, most are directly open to the outside. Works in a country where there are no mosquitoes and lots of sunshine.

We're on the downhill slide here, meaning that we've got 30 days of school and one week of testing. Whew!

When celebrating for Easter last week, I purchased a bouquet of tulips to help add a Spring-like touch to our apartment. Then I remembered that I had these pictures (see above) They were taken last year about this time at the home of our good friends JC and the Dutch lady. While I can buy tulips here, I miss seeing them in their yard.

Our cat is also exhibiting Spring-Like behaviours, or else he's just weird, which is possible. Students are definately aware that the time is almost over. This could be the hardest part of teaching this year--hanging on until the end of the year. Hhmm, I bet my colleagues in MN are going through the same thing. Some things are just the same, no matter where the location.

Whatever your spring-like trials and tribulations, I hope that you're having a good time. Trust that we are!!

No comments: