Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Pictures worth 1K words...or more: The "art" of conversation


My friend JC posted this picture of a Somali pirate on his wonderblog, 56572. I loved the picture, how it captured the features but also had a piece of soul attached.

I also love student artwork. Partially because I was never able to complete an artwork myself (guess my art is piano and theatre) and partially because I like the perspective that young people show.

Notice how the picture and the black/white ink drawing below are very similar. It's not an image we are used to seeing in North America, but it seems to be a common "pose" from the Middle East. As if the eyes told the whole story.

Anna's hardest and most in-depth class here is Art. She thinks the teacher "stays awake all night just to think up projects for us to do". The International Baccelaurete program is very intense, and in addition to complete works of art, Anna also has to keep up a daily Developmental workbook describing her work, her reflections and her self-criticism. This teacher really challenges Anna, and it's a good thing.


These three selections are not Anna's work but are rather from the recent Grade 12 Artshow here at AIS. I enjoy their different interpretations of three very familiar Kuwaiti sights.



No comments: