Monday, April 27, 2009

Deck the Halls (and other fantasies)


Picture from St. Michael's Cathedral in Brussels, Belgium taken on Christmas Eve 2008


Okay now that I've got your attention...
I'm listening to a Kuwait "Easy Listenin'" radio station and all of a sudden, What Child is This? pops on. Okay, it's probably supposed to be "Greensleeves", but it just seems a little out of place. Maybe they don't recognize Christmas songs.

So this is the part of the story where I confess that not five minutes prior, I had on my Mannheim Steamroller Christmas CD, rockin' to seasonal tunes while I was organizing my next couple days in my classroom. Maybe they picked up on my vibes, maybe homeland security has my room bugged (who's paranoid?) Maybe it's just that a good song is a good song.

The reality that I've only got 42 days here is slowly creeping into my consciousness. I am terribly homesick, yet I still keep a smile on my face. I like my life here well enough, I am certainly learning a lot and having experiences with people, travel and culture. Yet I do miss GREEN, LAKES, and being to understand all of what I hear from those around me. (except if I were in the Somalian or Mexican grocery store in PR).

It will be good to take a couple months off from living in the Middle East and reconnect with loved ones and loved places. However, it's my daily challenge to keep my head in the game here. As my friend ATD says on her Facebook page, "struggling to live in the NOW".

No comments: