Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Mi Casa - Someone Else's Shack




These are two of the homes I saw while traveling out in the desert last weekend. If I understand correctly, these homes are only visited on weekends by the owners. They were quite large and nice (Although I would never paint a house pink and purple!)
It reminds me of the people who bought my parents farm and placed a $175,000 "hunting shack" on it for 4 weekends a year.

Students here often talk of going to the chalet for the weekend. For about the first month, I truly thought these people flew to Switzerland every weekend (the money is there). Then it was explained to me that's how they refer to their homes along the Gulf. It's like having a cabin I guess only it's right alongside the seashore. Then I find out some also have homes in the desert AND homes in London and Eqypt. Uffda.

It will be interesting to see how Kuwait fares in the next couple years with the world economic situation. David often says it reminds him of the US in the 50s (from what he's read). Stay tuned for details.

No comments: