Saturday, April 9, 2011

Gulf Heritage

We took a ride on these boats. It was very cheap and a pretyty cool way to cross the Dubai Creek. There were very few women on the creek, but it didn't bother us. For the equivalent of $.30 , it was worth the trip (yes it's not a typo...$.30!)
This is one of many beautiful mosques in the city. Surprisingly, though we saw many mosques, I can't say I heard them as much as I do here in Kuwait. Maybe it's because we've got 4 within a 6 block area around me. I doubt it's because they've got the sound turned down...but then again, I don't know.
This panel was outside of the Dubai museum. It shows life in simpler times. Actually many people of the Gulf still head out to the desert in tents just like this one. Except they bring along the Generator, TV, Half a house of furniture and the bbq. Roughin' in...Arab style.

These aren't real people but rather mannequins in the Dubai museum showing ancient times. Although, with the exception of the dagger on the hop, this couple could also fit into modern Arab society.

No comments: