Thursday, April 28, 2011

30 Years Later



If you look hard enough, you might be able to see David and I in this crowd of people at the 1981 wedding of Charles and Diana. Yes, we were "there" somewhere. David took me to England for a month in 1981 and it is safe to say that the trip Changed My Life forever. It was my very FIRST trip on an airplane, and it was quite the mind-blowing experience for this lil Minnesota farm girl. It was my real exposure to things "off the farm" or rather off the continent. We actually did see this carriage, or rather, I did. In a stroke of chivalry and deep kindness, David put me on his shoulders and I saw everything crystal clear, while all he saw were the backs of people's heads.

We really REALLY wanted to be at the wedding today (I am sure our invite is lost in the mail..very unreliable service in Q8!) but alas it wasn't able to fit into our schedule. So I'll be watching along with the couple of other billion people on the planet. David won't have to put me on his shoulders, he may sneak a peek at the "telly" once in a while, but he doesn't plan to make a day of it.

We have a colleague--the famous Miss Mona I have written about a couple times--who IS at the wedding. Or at least in London. She took a couple of personal days and flew out to see the happenings. She promises to get us a souvenior mug with Wills and Kate's photo on it. It will be placed in honour next to our mug from 1981.

God Speed M/M Wales. May a life of happiness and true love be in your future. And I'll pass along the BEST advice I got before my wedding...remember it's the MARRIAGE not the wedding that counts!!

PS to the royal couple...when my invite arrives, I'll have the address to send your toaster!



No comments: