Sunday, August 9, 2009

T minus 7 and (not) counting...


photo taken through the back of my favorite chair at Lake Lida

One week left in the US for this year. When we landed in June,it seemed like we had the whole summer to play, rest, visit, eat, drink beer, etc. Now we're down to 7 days. I'm still thinking that I can make one trip down to Minneapolis but I'm not sure how much more energy this ol' girl has!!

Visiting last weekend with one of my oldest closest friends "ol pain in the ass" (that's not his name but it's how I refer to him) and his lovely wife was a wonderful respite. No stress when you're with an old friend. Or at least the only stress was whose turn it was to get up out of the chair and get the beer. Lots of laughter, some serious catching up, lots of relaxing.

I've discovered the greatest joys of having old friends is that you can really really tease each other and not have to worry about "auditioning" for friends. The people we still have in our lives are there because of our long time knowledge of each other--or even in spite of it!! I can't expect to replace that with people I've only known for 10 months!

One time, a friend quoted this saying to me:
People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. Once you figure out what it is, you will know how to respond to them.

I may have quoted this last summer when I was running around trying to say goodbye to everyone in my life. I'm not saying goodbye this summer because I've proven to myself that the important people will be around for another season OR, hopefully a lifetime.
So I'm just saying "so long"

1 comment:

Sue Monson said...

Nadine,

I have only seen you a handful of times this summer, and I think that I did get to tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog. I also wanted to tell you how much I envy this adventure you are on! I hope to someday be as brave as you!

I'll be looking forward to more updates in the coming months.

Sue Monson