Thursday, August 6, 2009

Mourning with Humor





Recently we had a memorial service for my mother in law, Maxine. We were lucky to have our dear family friends from Ohio with us. As we walked (and walked and walked) to the location chosen by Maxine to spread her ashes, we paused to rest. In a moment right out of "Grumpy Old Men", Family Friend Mr H, himself 82 and in the beginning stages of alzheimers, turns to PapaCB (who is a spry 84) and says "Charlie, I'm going to die before you because there is no way I will walk this much for you".

Later in the evening, some of us toasted her with a glass of Scotch, her favorite drink. As I am not a Scotch drinker, I may have filled the glasses a bit too full. Keeping in the spirit of the event, Mr H looked at his very full glass and said "That's okay, Maxine and I have just enough to drink."

Here's to good friends and what it takes to properly say goodbye to someone. RIP Lady.

No comments: