Saturday, August 15, 2009

Falling Not Far from the Tree


Mother and Daughter circa 2007. Still one of my favorite shots

When we became parents 21 and 16 years ago, I didn't think ahead to what it would be like to have children growing into adults. It's proved to be interesting, insightful, a little frustrating sometimes but NEVER boring.
Having Ben in Iraq and engaging in mostly electronic has proven frustrating but I am appreciative when I think about other "wars" and how there wasn't the immediate electronic access opportunities. I am grateful for what I read from Ben but would give anything to see the whites of his eyes. Unfortunately that will not be until December as he is returning the day after we leave for Kuwait (deep sigh)

Anyway, my point is about my children's humor (don't get me started on how I feel about Ben's arrival!)

Now I am finding that electronic communication with Anna has proved to be insightful and humorous.
Recently we even amused each other by playing the "facebook Chat" game while in the same house!! (I was upstairs, she was downstairs and we were communicating with each other!) We enjoyed it, David thought we were crazy!

I got this "joke" on my facebook recently. Fortunately (or unfortunately) she is developing the same sarcastic, sick sense of humor that David, Ben and I share. This post is from my daughter....

"Mother! so, I have a joke for you.
A mother passing by her daughter's bedroom was astonished to see the bed was nicely made and everything was picked up. Then she saw an envelope propped up prominently on the center of the bed. It was addressed, "Mom." With the worst premonition, she opened the envelope and read the letter with trembling hands:
Dear Mom: It is with great regret and sorrow that I'm writing you. I had to elope with my new boyfriend because I wanted to avoid a scene with Dad and you. I've been finding real passion with Ahmed and he is so nice-even with all his piercings, tattoos, beard, and his motorcycle clothes. But it's not only the passion Mom, I'm pregnant and Ahmed said that we will be very happy. He already owns a trailer in the woods and has a stack of firewood for the whole winter. He wants to have many more children with me and that's now one of my dreams too. Ahmed taught me that marijuana doesn't really hurt anyone and we'll be growing it for us and trading it with his friends for all the cocaine and ecstasy we want.
In the meantime, we'll pray that science will find a cure for AIDS so Ahmed can get better; he sure deserves it!! Don't worry Mom, I'm 15 years old now and I know how to take care of myself. Someday I'm sure we'll be back to visit so you can get to know your grand children.
Your daughter, Judith
PS: Mom, none of the above is true. I'm over at the neighbor's house. I just wanted to remind you that there are worse things in life than my report card that's in my desk center drawer. I love you! Call when it is safe for me to come home."

"Mother-thought you would be amused by that. Love, Anna"


She's right, I was amused. But more so because she thought I would be amused. Humor will get you through anything.

No comments: