Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hotter Than...Usual



Kuwaiti couple walking along the Arabian Gulf.


We're Baaaack!! And the temperatures have conspired to give us a huge welcome home hug. The humidity is soooo thick (how thick is it?) It's the "walk out of your office and your glasses fog up-take 5 steps and wipe the sweat off your neck" kind of humid. Even the locals are complaining (And many of them are wearing abayas and dishtashas as you see in the picture above) As for now, I'm listening to Christmas music in an attempt to cool off. I'll let you know how that goes. We had blocked this part of Kuwait out of our memory banks. The cold, windy days at Lake Lida seem like heaven now.

Things faired well over the summer. There's been major construction at our school. which is pretty cool. And, to everyone's surprise, the remodeling is way ahead of schedule. Unbelieveable!!

Our cat did well, our apartment wasn't cloaked in dust like I feared (*thanks for the fab cat-watchers!) and we're starting to see familiar faces. I'm beginning to get a handle on my job as Activities Director for the school, got my own office and fancy business cards. If they could see me now...

My goals for this year are to continue to appreciate Kuwait for what it has to offer us, to meet more Kuwaitis (if that's possible) and to learn more about the culture. I will also get back on my exercise regime in an effort to lose the pounds I gained eating pork and drinking beer this summer (but thanks for the friends who made that possible!)

Tonight we are invited out to supper with all the newbies. My goal is to give them words of encouragement. Boy do I remember last year at this time if someone had waved a ticket to the US in front of me, I would have snatched it up so fast, the sand would have whirled! Patience and Confidence go a long way to making up for that!

SO, here's to Year Two and what it brings us. We feel more confident in our decision to return here for another year. We are looking forward to getting reaquainted wiht our frieds. Hey--maybe we'll even get another cat (David-are you reading this? What do you think??!)

Cheers from the Desert

No comments: