Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Wicked Awesome Trip



NOTE: Photo was taken in Millenium Park during a "Wicked" publicity event. The green stuff on my face is sunscreen. Anna hates to pose for photos so she's trying to smile "wickedly"

Currently I'm traveling through Chicago with my 15 year old daughter, her two smart chick friends and another favorite traveling companion. We are enjoying the classic tourist sites plus some unique ones courtesy of traveling with teenagers. For example, how many times have you purposely tracked pigeons in a major city or deviated twice around the block so you could see the CUTE guy in the window?! You get my drift.

Yesterday Anna called me heartless because I scurried her away from an obvious street "hassler". She said she's rather be optimistic and naive rather than old and bitter. This was said in her typical I'm kidding you mom but listen to what I'm saying voice. It gave me some pause to think. Have I lost my optimism? Or have the Mamma Bear genes completed ruled out any chance for spontaneity?

Staying in our hostel is a woman who truly is certifable "CRAZY". It's a sad thing because she's obviously intelligent and got a great sense of humor. BEST NEW LINE: She commented that she talked to herself all the time and I asked her if she ever answered and she replied "Why would I want to do that? I know all the answers and that would be redundant!"

Life in a big city certainly makes one thankful for what simple pleasures small town living brings and also makes one a little sad for the many different types of opportunities that are available that cannot not be experienced in a village. It's great to have a chance to show my daughter and friends. I fully believe these three young women will run the country one day so I'm just planting a "few seeds" to help them understand a different lifestyle.

Watching them navigate in a big city makes my heart twinge as they are certainly not the little girls who played on the playground anymore. Yet watching them have the most fun on a big cement structure still made me smile. They are still "little girls"--only in bigger (scarier) bodies!

Here's hoping my little Peanutbutter will be successful in her new life in the Middle East. She'll certainly be able to handle what comes her way--I think. May Allah watch over her.

1 comment:

Di said...

finally figured out how to leave a comments!
love your blobs, learning all about you!!!
did you know, Tara had her babies?
Di