Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Happy Daddy's Day


Sunday is Father's day. Pictured above is Mr. Gordon Sanders, a man who has been like a "daddy" to me for the past 30+ years. He's the patriarch of the famously loud and laughing Sanders family from Frazee. He's pictured with some of his family and yes,there are a couple of us Sanderswannabes in the photo!

Gordon is 93 but looks and acts more like 59. He loves his family and won't miss an opportunity to be with them. He laughs along with all the jokes, stays up until the last story is told and is generally always up for a good time. He's been owner/operator of Sanders Gas Station for 76 years. Last week, they (son Rog and grandson in law Curt help out too) made the tough decision to stop selling gas. It was shocking to me to learn that they only made 3 cents (as in 1,2,3) profit on a gallon of gas. Tough times for small business owners in the US.

So I'm moving to a country where gas is, I think, 45 cents per gallon. (It may be as high as $1.00-I'll let you all know in August). Almost 1 in 4 Kuwaiti drives an expensive car. Driving has been reported as erratic at best. I don't think we'll try it for ourselves at least in the beginning.

Also in Kuwait, "The family unit is more important to Kuwaitis than is the individual, the larger community, or the government. Families tend to be large." Maybe they are celebrating their Fathers on Sunday also. Sounds like they do more regular celebrating of fathers in general.

I was a Daddy's girl. I spent a lot of time riding in the gravel truck with him and helping out around the farm. To this day thanks to him I can change oil, grease a truck or discuss crops intelligently. Although I loved my mom immensely, it was always to my Dad that I would want to speak first when I came home to visit or called home. Generally we talked about simple things or about a specific problem (car, work). I called home every Friday and we would talk long and smart Momma Esther listening on the other extension of course. Then mom and I would discuss the domestic things while Dad listened.

My oldest sister has different memories of my father, she tells me that I got the mellow Howard while she got the Hard one. I don't doubt her, times were indeed different 21 years prior to my birth (the age difference between the oldest and youngest in my family)

Road tripping with Gordon this past week as a companion my Long Minnesota Goodbye tour part 1 was a special treat. Our talks were very much like the ones I had with my father in the car. We even stopped for ice cream. There was great conversation along with comfortable silence. Gotta have time to look at the crops, ya know. It was a special gift.

As I watch Anna form a bond with her Daddy, I am only a little jealous because I know what a rich base that will give her in her life.

Here's to all Daddys. I hope you know that you are loved and treasured and adored by your families. And Howard, (and Esther too) I know you'll watch over me as I travel to the Middle East. I also know that your first question to me would be if I were able to call you..."How's the weather?" Some things shouldn't change.

No comments: