Friday, November 26, 2010

Say it Ain't So!!!

I love taking pictures in Kuwait. Not only to keep a permanent record of what our life is like here but, of course to share with YOU!
This is a picture taken in an old style Kuwaiti restaurant. On the left is an OUD, a lute/guitar like instrument that is very prominent in Arab music. To the left is a tabl or drum. I just finished teaching a unit on Arabic music in my Intro to Fine Arts class. I don't know about the students, but I LEARNED ALOT!
Foreground is our newest AIS teacher's apartment building. In the background is the World's Tallest Concrete Building in construction--meaning that it's entirely made of cement blocks, no steel rebar anywhere! Disregard the red and whtie thing, it's just another antenna so we can all be spied on (joke...joke...sorry)

These are the ovens where they make the yummy flat bread. The bread is actually thrown onto the walls of the oven. There is an open flame on the bottom. Still reminds me of the witch's oven in Hansel and Gretel. Recently I read in the Kuwait Times that there is a ban on digital cameras and therefore taking pictures in public. My WHOLE LIFE STYLE in Kuwait will be changed because, as YOU know, I live through my camera. And the hundreds (okay dozens) of you reading this blog DEPEND on me to live life vicariously for you right? I am hoping that this is another one of those laws that has been EXPRESSED but not necessarily FOLLOWED UP ON. (Yes that does happen here like the smokign in public ban and the no public display of affection ban, etc). SO if you never see any more pictures again, then you'll know they got me AND my camera.

No comments: