Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Eid Mubarek


This is the neighborhood mosque right across the sandlot from our apartment. This morning several hundred people were gathered outside to celebrate the beginning of Eid Al Adha. Only minutes before I took this photo, it was filled with people. According the Muslim practice, the women worshipped behind the fenced off area.

After the worship service, two of the faithful remained to talk.



Eid Al Adha commemorates the sacrifice that Abraham was willing to make to God. We heard the Iman giving prayers and messages outside our building beginning at 530 am. This is nothing new as the first call to prayer is at 430 am. However, due to the occassion, this one was an hour long "sermon". I took the opportunity to grab my camera and stroll around the outside of the gathering. I got what I considered fantastic shots of the crowd. Then, inspired by my telephoto lens and the beautiful weather, I went up to the 8th floor of our apartment building for more stellar shots. It wasn't until the 50th shot that I realized that I didn't have a memory card in my camera. So, after running down 8 flights of stairs (okay, I ran down one and took the elevator to the other 7) and running back up (again one flight), I got a couple shots that you see here.

No comments: