Friday, September 28, 2012

Kuwait through Kims kamera

My beautiful neighbor Kim writes a great blog about her life here. She is an excellent writer and I love reading her version of visiting places we have been. I should give you the link but then you might give up on me and only read her! But I did steal pictures... Oh of course I asked first. ( sorta) Enjoy...
To explain a couple of them. This one is actually taken in Oman, but it's so lovely I had to include it here. It features all the wonderful doors and artwork plus a local. You (well maybe not you, but certainly I can) see that it's not a Kuwaiti male due to the hat.  I love these boats. This is a dhow and it's a traditional fishing/pearling vessel. You see many of them out in the gulf and parked in the marinas preparing for their fishing expeditions. I've been lucky enough to sail on them once, it was very special.
This is the Kuwait Communication tower. It's located right downtown which is quite handy as a landmark when visiting the old souk (Souq Mubarekeea)
One of the things I often say is that Kuwait is at it's best at night (when it's all lit up and the dust and general messiness is covered up) and early in the morning when it's quiet. KK captured a peaceful site at Souq Shaarq. In case I haven't told you, Souq is the word for market.
Kuwaitis are very proud of their ancient tradition of falconry and working with hawks. Actually the entire Middle East is proud of this tradition. There have been several times when I was visiting the vet with my cat (or a friends cat) and there would be 5 or 6 of these little guys waiting for their visit with the doctor. The little cap is kept on so they don't get anxious.
This is the extent of the "wildlife" that we see. The local cats enjoying a banquet from the garbage bin. These cats are the same kind as my Germo (an Arabian Mau) but they haven't had the life that he has had. When he pisses me off (which isn't often) I tell him that he could end up like his cousins in the garbage bins. It seems to work as he always behaves afterwards.

No comments: