Friday, September 28, 2012

A kiss is just a kiss

The story of my trip to Cairo is quite interesting. My main job here at AIS is to work as the Activity Director which involves coordinating all the details for our Model United Nations, Forensics (Speech), Band and Choir and Academic Games teams to travel to local and international tournaments. Last year it was quite a fiasco with the Arab Spring. It made getting teams to tournaments quite a challenge. We had to cancel a few events in Egypt.
Although our contacts in Cairo and Alexandria assured us that all was well at the end, we still couldn't convince our parents that it was safe to send students there. I can understand from a parents standpoint, but there comes a time when you have to stop being afraid and travel. So at the spring meeting, one of the ADs from Cairo suggested that the meeting be held in Cairo in the fall so we could see that it's quite safe (relatively speaking). And so it was voted on and agreed. Later he told me that he did that because he knew I wanted to see the pyramids. What a friend!
So off we go to Cairo ( although there had been a mini riot two weeks before, we carried on bravely) We found it to be safe, interesting and delightful. None of the male ADs wanted to travel to see this tourist site (I think it had to do more with the fact that I left at 730 am after a night of heavy partying on their part). As I said in an earlier blog, I didn't bring my camera, but I did manage to use my ipad to grab a couple for documentation purposes.
 Here is my favorite. In case you are wondering, the sphinx is male.. From sixth grade until last weekend, I thought it was female. Go figure...

 

No comments: