Friday, September 28, 2012

Cairo without my camera

I didn't bring my camera for fear of looking like a tourist (ha)! But I captured a lot in my mind. Thankfully there are google images of what I saw.
I had been warned that the Cairo traffic was crazy but fortunately most of my travels were in the early morning. There is something so interesting about seeing 4-5 lanes of traffic and then something like this (pictured) on the side of the road just plotting along.
The area that is close to the pyramids looks like a different world. Although this is a painting, the communityy looks exactly like this today. So very interesting.
This is indeed what I saw. I must admit that I could hear Peggy Lee singing in the background a little bit ("is that all there is"?) because they weren't quite as massive as I had pictured them. But it's still an amazing site to see all that limestone and granite. The site where the Sphinx is located took 20 years to build. Unfortunately an angry Muslim (go figure!) man chopped off the nose of the sphinx some time ago. The guide said he was worried about idolatry. If he had thought about all the money that the pyramids bring to the country, he might have re-considered.
I love souqs and visit them every change I get. I didn't get a chance to visit this one but I did enough damage in the hote gift shop which featured items like this. However, the lesson I learned is DON'T VISIT the gift shop after you've consumed four beers. Enough said.
No matter how many times I see camels, they always amaze and intrigue me. I didn't go for the ride on this one because quite honestly, the saddle hurts my butt (and I do have enough padding) and they are VERY TALL and it's a bit disconcerting to be that far up in the air.
I saw this site...and I saw a woman riding on the back of a motorcycle riding side saddle and I saw a man bringing a huge sack of groceries home on his bike.

No comments: