Wednesday, September 2, 2009

When is it more than "Just" the Flu?


We're living under a real threat of closure here at AIS Kuwait due to the H1N1 virus. Some schools have closed, our pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten classes won't open until next week. Rumors are flying that the Minister of the Ministers (a real position) wants all schools to close until after Ramadan (September 27). Every day we're open is a "gift" in the eyes of the administrators.

I understand that this is a serious situation, please don't get me wrong. Having a pandemic that has travelled the world in this short-time isn't something to be taken lightly. What I am concerned about it the way rumors fly (I hear that schools in Saudi and Qatar aren't opening until January? Do why are we open?) AND the fact that there are parents who are keeping their children at home because of rumors and unconfirmed reports.

Friends who live in Seoul South Korea (the former Kuwait BFFs for those who follow this blog regularily) have been out of school for one week already. Not sure of when they will reopen.

We are supposed to limit personal contact, hugging and kissing, etc. This IS A CHALLENGE in this country as the accepted greeting for people is a kiss on both cheeks upon meeting (for men and women BUT NOT men AND women...although I did see some high school students breaking that tradition...still confused!). And we're supposed to wash our hands (always a good thing..remember to sing "Happy Birthday" twice through!) and use bacterial sanitizer whenever possible. (!) Oh and if we feel bad, go home, take an asprin and call your doctor.

This afternoon, my spouse, who is NOT a hypochrondriac, came up to me and said he wasn't feeling well and needs to go home. Do I worry? Do I take him in a screaming taxi ride to the clinic? Do I make him chicken noodle soup and read him stories? I really don't know.

It just makes one wonder if world wide media (and web) coverage is always such a good thing?!

What do you think???

No comments: