Thursday, September 3, 2009

Random Ramadan Greetings

During the holy month of Ramadan, Muslims abstain from eating and drinking and "marital relations" from sunup to sundown. Being a guest in the Muslim country, we are expected to do the same. Well, at least the eating and drinking part.
NOW BEFORE YOU THINK that I am going to get into WAY TOO MUCH detail about our personal lives, be assured, this is not a Dr Phil session.

I am just thinking about what people give up for Ramadan and thinking about how Westerners would do with being asked to make these sacrifices.

And I am currently using David's computer at work and found the poem he wrote me for my birthday in March. It's pretty "steamy" so maybe you shouldn't read it until after sundown...

I share it with you proudly..

Elizabeth Barett Browning once wrote a poem called How Do I Love Thee and several years ago at a fund raising event in front of 250 of Nadine’s closest friends I read that poem for my wife.
I would like to do the same again now except I’ve taken some liberties with the words of the poem.

How do I love thee?

I love thee the way you have helped me grow into a complete person.
I once was a hermit – now I can actually go to parties and talk to people

I love thee the way you have supported me.
You selflessly gave up a great job so I could go back to school to become a teacher

I love thee the way you have given me time
You give me time to play at soccer, play golf and to work odd hours in theatre

I love thee the way you have changed for me
Imagine – from a small town girl to a world traveler. When you met me at college orientation, did you in your wildest dreams think you’d be living in Kuwait

I love thee the way you are the mother of our children
Ben – what a challenge – he has taught me so much about life – though there were days – thank you for him.
Anna – what a goon – a girl was an entirely different kind of challenge.
Thank you for her.

I love thee for being my companion for 32 years
The bad times – your parents passing away – my Mom’s Alzhimer’s – a difficult move to Pelican Rapids - skiing in Colorado – my buying you a vaccum for our 1st anniversary

The good times – traveling England for an entire month – riding the train in Canada – teaching at the same school- spending time at the cabin chili beans and all

These are but a few ways I love thee and if God choose I shall love thee better after another fifty years


Hallmark doesn't even come close...

1 comment:

love2hike said...

Wow! Hallmark does NOT even come close. That is beautiful, David!