Thursday, July 17, 2008

SWOT Running


NOTE:
This is a picture of Anna playing soccer last fall for Hillcrest/PR. Since she is the designated Athlete in the family, I thought it was appropriate to feature her.

Lately friends who know me well have accused me of "running from something" because I seem to be spending too much time visiting people, occupying myself with activities, etc. I've thought about it and it's possibly our August 15 departure and my completely new lifestyle. Oh hec, who am I fooling...not possibly-probably.

Part of this is seasonal--it's a normal pattern for me to visit places and people in the summertime. If a teacher can't take advantage of those glorious three months, then what good is it?! BTW-GOOD teachers really resent that t-shirt that says "Three reasons to teach-June, July and August".

But I digress (again, running?!)
So I've been trying to stop myself and face the future head-on. "Brother" Peter recently said something brilliant (not the first time, not the last)
He said that when someone is facing a significant challenge, they should make a SWOT list:
Chronicling STRENGTHS, WEAKNESSES, OPPORTUNITIES and THREATS.

So I'm attempting to do that for myself. Here's what I've come up with--

STRENGTHS: I am a good teacher. I will have an opportunity to teach Drama, which is my passion. I will be able to take this adventure with David and Anna. I love to travel. David's job was cut and now we have jobs.

WEAKNESSES: I need lots of people in my life and I'm scared what will happen when I don't have my "core" people by my side. The weather is hot, damn hot. I don't function well when I don't have both my children in my Mother Hen Den at least once a month. I'm not used to spending significant amounts of solitary time with David.

OPPORTUNITIES: Whoa-this is where the list could get long. The opportunitity to teach, to travel, to experience a new culture, to learn more about my daughter during the precious last years of high school, to live my husband's lifestyle, to prove to myself that I can live away from home and work on all the above weaknesses.

THREATS: Well, there's that whole war thing. And the heat (I consider this a threat) and Anna surviving in a new environment. And the insecurity of just exactly we will come out with our finances.

Okay I've made the list. Nothing seems as threatening as cancer (what I use in my life as the BIG OMG). Maybe, just maybe I can do this.

Like my daughter, at least I'm willing to try. It's down to less than 4 weeks for departure. Keep those prayers (in whatever religion) a'comin' folks.

3 comments:

Bobbie said...

Hi Nadine,

I can't tell you how often I think of you and your adventure! I like your SWOT list (definitely an inspiration from Brother Peter), and I think his rationale was right-on. But...Nadine, you have such an open, gonna-get-to-know you personality, I know you will soak up every bit of the experience. The SWOT part right now is just the, "I've done everything to get ready; let's get on with it!" I'm sure you'll settle down once the plane wheels leave the runway. Of course, there'll probably be another, "OMG, what did I decide to do?!" when the pilot announces that you are getting ready to land!! Of all the people I know, I can't imagine anyone who would turn this into a wonderful experience more than you! Kudos to Anna as well. There aren't many young ladies her age who would forsake friends and high school days even for an adventure of this magnitude. She must have her parents' wunderlust.

Know that you'll be always in my thoughts and prayers for your safety, adjustment to the heat, and whatever else you happen to need on any particular day. I'll keep checking the blog to see what's going on. I plan to "take" this trip with you via the magic of the worldwide web!

BTW,I'm glad the dogs have found homes. We are dog people and I hated that you needed homes for them and we couldn't help with the distance and all.

Anyway, take care of yourself, Anna and David. I know you will give your students just as much or more than you get. Safe travels, God Speed and know that you are loved!! Bobbie

Di said...

Auntie,
keep up the blogging, I've found that the more I talk or vent the better I feel...and I know the power of positive thinking always helps!
love you,
Di

love2hike said...

I love your blog! It is fun to read your posts! I can't wait to "connect" with you after so many years.


Cousin Sheila from Boulder, CO