Monday, July 21, 2008

Mi Hermanos, Mi Hermana and Mi Amore


NOTE: Translation for those of you who do not speak Spanish: My brothers, my sister and my love

Recently I had the great pleasure (as a part of the Long MN Goodbye tour part 3) to gather with long time friend Marc (my "brother") and his lovely spunky wife Ximena (my "sister") in Brainerd, the home of another hermano, Kevin. The two brothers had never met, although they had heard of each other for over 30 years.

I am truly blessed with friendships--especially male ones. Before David (mi amore) and I got married, I said to him, "well you must understand that there are a couple guy friends who are very important to me and I will not give them up. If you can't handle it, then I'm sorry" (what choice did the poor guy have 26 years ago?!)

Fortunately these males who were so important to me back then are still in my life, plus a couple others. I don't go around collecting males like Ken Dolls (..oh let's not go there!) I think that subconsiously I wanted to grow up in family of brothers and so I've gathered them around me over the years. I also have a couple good sisters of another mother (and father).

Because of my birth order being the youngest with 21, 17 and 12 years between me and my birth siblings, I didn't really know them until my parents died. My relationships with them are very good and growing and I am very proud and pleased with that. But in reality I have friends that know me better and longer than my brother and sister. My neices and nephews are another story--I grew up with them. While I love my birth family dearly, as I have stated in blog, I do believe that
FRIENDS ARE THE FAMILY YOU CHOOSE

Right before this picture Marc and I were singing in the Starbucks--seranading the barrista with a chorus of "I've Got a Brand New Pair of Roller Skates" (remember?! the 70s?) Kevin, who really doesn't sing, was smiling and then said "Wow-you guys are really old". Of course he's the same age as we are-actually the boys are and always will be older than me.

Singing at the top of my lungs with an old friend, enjoying the gathering of important people, with my spouse by my side made today a PERFECT DAY! I will carry these people, and others, in my heart to Kuwait. And if they have a chance, I know they will be drinking beer for me over here.

Love-it comes in many forms. I am lucky to be loved by such great people.

MDMC-thanks for the incredible going away gift. Knowing your spending habits for past 37 years, I am more than honored. You get 2 points for this! X-thanks for caring enough to cry when we left. And KJCD-your gift of time has been awesome and humbling. Gracias Mi Hermanos and Hermana.

No comments: