Sunday, July 6, 2008

In the middle of Nowhere is the Center


Here it is folks, a photo from Rugby, North Dakota--THE geographical center of North America (or at least their Chamber of Commerce boasts as much). We stopped here recently on our way home from Anna spending a week at Art Camp. We've been to this location 4 times over the past 4 years, picking up our kids from the camp (also known as Band Camp, Drama Camp and the International Peace Gardens). But yet we've never stopped here for a photo opportunity.

SO Anna says "Mom let's take a picture". Now those of you who have teenage daughters know this NEVER happens. So when it does, ya gotta be quick! Thanks to the other tourists who could take the picture of both of us.

Watching Anna grow up is an amazing process. There isn't a day when I don't thank (and curse) God for the gift he's given me in her. I know my parents are giggling in heaven at the thought of me having to put up with the crap I gave them. She's been real trouper throughout the process of preparing to move. Her classic initial comment was "What I cannot change, I will endure" (yes there is always DRAMAH at our house!)

Yesterday driving home across North Dakota we had a good chance to talk, and laugh, and I found out that she does indeed have some concerns about our new adventure. While I praise her bravery, I also acknowledge that this won't be easy for her leaving Friends (THE Center of her life now) or to not be a NORMAL AMERICAN TEENAGER. I also know that she, probably more than David or I, will be be changed by this experience. God grant me the strength to put up with that!

But, she's willing to try it--and that's the most amazing thing. She really is a grounded person-centered in her beliefs and abilities and she's got a great developing sense of adventure. In short, she totally amazes me (when she's not totally ticking me off!)

When Ben was little, i received a book titled "Listen to the Littlest Ones". In it, there is this poem
"WHAT ARE YOU SAYING ABOUT THE WORLD?
when you shield me too tightly? What are you saying about me when you don't let me go?
Am I hearing that life is dangerous?
Am I hearing that I can't make it?


I guess we must be making a big statement when we said "We're moving to Kuwait". Let's hope it was the right words.

No comments: