Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Looking for the Good

I wish I had taken this photo, but it was selected from a blog on Kuwait. This is the flag of Kuwait in front of the Kuwati Towers...the symbol of the country. FYI--when Saddem Hussain invaded the country 20 years ago, this is the first thing that was damaged as it is such a symbol of the country. Damaging this was striking right at the heart of the country.


Arabic Word Translation Lesson of the Day
Good Words
1.Yalla
2.Habeebi
3.Machkoor (shukran)
4.Ta'al
5.Sah Shughlik
6.Ajeeb
7.Leysh?
8.Shinu?
9.Minu?

Translation
1. Come on, Hurry up (I use this one a lot especially when students are lingering in the halls)
2. My friend (you know you've arrived when someone refers to you as this)
3. Thank you
4 Come here (in an Arab country, it is offense to point your finger and motion with the "come
here" finger movement. They think you're treating them like an animal)
5. Good Job
6. Awesome
7. Why?
8. What?
9. Who?

I thought that it was time to spread some GOOD WORDS about the Arab Culture to my North American loved ones as I am sure that you are inundated with the "10 Years ago was 9/11" media blitz. I am not saying that we shouldn't remember, I just want to caution you against thinking that all Arab people are Bad. They are not.

With this in mind, I talked deep with a couple of former AIS students yesterday as they are preparing to enter University in a couple days. I told them to dress "less Arab" this week to which the student replied: "You mean I can't wear my Abacrombie and Fitch shirt and kahki pants?"
Okay so I sometimes forget which generation I'm speaking to.

My request of you loved ones reading this blog (and those random people) is that while you are acknowledging the anniversary of the HORRIFIC events of 9/11, be slow to condemn ALL PEOPLES and remember that 99.99% of Muslims are not terrorists or bombers or angry peoples. I believe this is why David and I are here in Kuwait...to find the good, to learn more about another culture and completely different way of thinking. We have been fortunate to learn so much, and we are honored to be welcomed back to the desert.

AND the temperature was only 46 C today!! (translation 114 F)

1 comment:

urubamba said...

Nice one, Nadine. Beautiful words and all too true. Now that you guys are back at it in Kuwait I finally feel like we are really reallly gone. So many things we will miss, mostly people and all our fav. holes in the wall and the souq. I hope you will have an awesome year!