Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Our lil medical adventure

Well David's cataract surgery came about quicker than we thought and now David no longer has his eye problem. The cataract was removed this morning in a quick surgery.

We began the adventure with a typical kuwait heart-stopping moment as the taxi driver was late. And then he didn't quite know where we were going. But finally between David's hand signals and my grunts, we made it, only a couple minutes late.

David was apprehensive about the surgery, I mean, any time someone says," I'll just slice into your eye and suck something out" , gotta feel nervous right? He said "I didn't expect it to be so much of an actual surgery including lying on a bed and being taken to the operating room, watching the lights pass before me as I was wheeled down to surgery". I think he was expecting to have the doctor say "remove your glasses, I'm going to cut now". It was a little more complicated than that with an anesthesialogist and surgeon and two nurses in the room. But he was a trouper.

I was brave..i went to Starbucks and had a lattee while I was waiting. Fortunately the surgery was only about 20 minutes long. (just enough time for a cup of coffee)
Medical facilities and operations are quite upscale and nice here in Kuwait. There's even an attendant who brings juice and a croissant after surgery.

The most exciting part of the day came when we were waiting for the taxi to pick up us. At least 15 cop cars went by on the main road in a space of 3 minutes and i was thinking, "holy cow this is the mother lode of all accidents". Then there was an empty space without traffic and i looked up to see four red vehicles surrounding a black limosine racing down the highway, followed by three big black vehicles with the windows open and gunmen poised ready to shoot (no joke!) then about 15 more police cars, two ambulances and then a large space before any other cars were on the road. My guess is that the Amir went out for coffee or something. It definately was someone important based on all the hub bub. Poor David couldn't see anything but I tried to describe the excitement.

Right now David sorta looks like a sadder version of Jack Sparrow with a big patch on his eye. (no dredlocks though) Tomorrow he gets the patch off and we "see what he can see".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...your eye surgery happened quickly. For your sack, I'm glad it is done and over with, and I hope you have positive results with your vision!! Nice pics of the museum!:-) Becca