Thursday, March 11, 2010

Notes from the Backstage

Scenes from the AIS production of "THREE MUSKETEERS". Anna is on the far right in both photos.


As I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger (I love that expression!) I've asked David to comment on our life here. He choose to write about his experience with building the set for the recent production of "THREE MUSKETEERS".

Written by Set Designer and Builder, David Brown
Another play has come and gone. It's amazing that something that took me two months to build can be torn down in one hour! One of the workers was amazed that it could all be torn down so quickly.
I decided to spread the wealth around and have another teacher direct the show (after 14 years of being the only director,it's nice to be able to share!). However, Her version of the show had 12 scene changes and as set designer and builder, I was NOT happy. So I found another version that only had 6 scene changes and she agreed with that.
Like in Pelican Rapids, I had to build alot of the basic set pieces and "flats". Also, I had to tear things apart before I could get them (I DO believe in recycling!) Another challenge is that I had to build the set in another space and then tear it down and move it to the Auditorium. A couple times I was told "it will never fit through the door" (like I don't measure...well, sometimes I don't!)
The Biggest Challenge was that the set called for lots of scenes which required painting beautiful scenery, which I don't do. Fortunately, Anna and her artistic friends came to the rescue and helped out. Except that when you work with volunteer student help, they don't always share the same sense of urgency and timing that I do, especially when they get grounded! But it all worked out even though it wasn't exactly pretty when I got done with it.
All in all, everything worked out. There was a good crowd, several "new" actors had a chance to be on stage (actually it was a BIG DEAL because we had so many Kuwaitis in the cast. Usually the North Americans "entertain" and the others watch). The show was well attended (for Kuwait) and everyone was pleased. Oh-and the set didn't fall down (not that that ever happens to me---but I know it did happen in Nadine's high school life)
Now I'm on to other things...like grading the pile of papers that has stacked up while I was working on this project. And paying attention to my wife ---yes, I did add this last line-NWB ;-)!


No comments: