Friday, October 29, 2010

My 2nd Favorite Breakfast place in the World

If you're around me in PR in the summer, you've heard me say that Riverside Coffee is my favorite breakfast place IN THE WORLD. It is...but I do have a close second for totally different reasons. Pictured below is the Layali Al Noor restaurant serving "Chinese, Indian and African specialities" (that's what their sign says anyhow). It's a true Hole in the Wall restaurant. A group of friends meet here every Thursday morning for the Special Indian breakfast (see below). The total cost is about $1.98 and it keeps me full for the entire day. The place is SO SMALL (how small is it? you ask) that there are only 3 tables with four chairs each. The other day we had to eat outside. So picture a table and 6 chairs in the alley to the right of the restaurant. That's where we dined. The kitchen is no bigger than a bathroom and the Otter Tail County health inspectors would probably close it down after looking at this picture. But I've not gotten sick yet and they serve the best food.
So-what IS the special Indian breakfast? Well, actually I have no clue what I'm eating (part of the charm of living overseas!) This is a picture of the Special breakfast. The dough-y looking this is like a cross between a pancake and a piece of lefse, the "soup" (which isn't soup) is made of lentil beans and something else and the tea/chai is..simply wonderful.
While I dream of Riverside Coffee and the sweet rolls, this is what keeps me content from September through June!




No comments: