Monday, November 16, 2009

Stranger Than Fiction

FACT: Approximately 52% of Kuwait marriages are between first or second cousins.
Unknown: It is reported to be a much higher percentage among the Royal Family.

While at the doctor's office recently, I was answering a questionnaire regarding my family health history. Unfortunately cancer runs in my family especially colon cancer. Both parents had it and my mother died from it.

So when the doctor read the information he asked me
"are your parents related?"

and I looked at him, paused for a minute and said
"Well they were married"

He patiently asked me again if they were related to each other.

It took me a beat (or two) to realize that this sort of question is not uncommon where I live.

I wanted to say something nasty like "no I'm not from West Virginia either", but that would have been way too rude. He was just doing his job and looking at things through his "filters".

But I did hear the old country western song "I am my own grandpa" playing in the background.

No comments: