Thursday, April 22, 2010

Shining Stars in the Universe


This week I discovered two things about former students

1) AD, one of my favorites and a true star in life, was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship to teach in Germany next year. I have known that ATD had the certain spark of life that only few have since I first worked with her in 4th grade as "Dorothy" in my production of Wizard of OZ. She was remarkable then and continues to shine. Congrats girl... I am so proud of you.

2) On a much sadder note, KW, a true, unique bright witty, smart, one of a kind gal, died of a sudden illness. KW was the kind of student that always makes teaching exciting--you are never quite sure what will come out of her mouth. I loved her in the classroom and although I didn't keep up with her life following graduation, I always thought highly of her.


Both ATD and KW were in attendance at the "Now that you're 21, you can buy Mrs Brown a beer" party that I hosted for former students at the cabin last summer. (see photo above)

Students never truly know what a mark they leave on teacher's hearts. Glad that I got a chance to chat with KW last summer and glad that ATD still keeps me in the loop of her life. And I'm also glad that the former students pictured above thought enough of me to return for a social call. Looking forward to having the sequel party this summer.


Sympathies to her family and friends back in PR. Continue to be bold, KW and thanks for sharing your brilliant light with us, if only briefly.

No comments: