Sunday, June 26, 2011

What Do I Miss About Kuwait when I'm Gone?

The other night at Dinner, my friend Jo asked what I miss about Kuwait. I had to really think..hard...because everything I need and want is supplied to me in North America so I really don't miss anything. As far as missing friends, if I were in Kuwait, our friends wouldn't be there anyway as they are travelling far and wide working on replenishing their souls, same as us.
But I do miss my cat, so here is a picture of Germo. Hopefully he is watching over the apartment and keeping all things in control (with the help of Mali, the wonderful maid).

Here's an update of our first two weeks back in MN

**Friendship Festival 14: It was a great celebration of all the cultures in PR. Having moved away and experienced living in another culture myself, I can appreciate and applaud the importance of everyone's culture being recognized.
**Catching up with the Fam: I have a large family as I have stated before on this blog. I've been in contact with most of them and have managed to see many blood relatives (and others that I consider family too!) It's good to see that, for now at least, all are well and happy.
**Purchased an IPAD: Now I know this sounds awfully superficial (I don't live in Kuwait for nothing ;-)!! But this little machine has really been a lot of fun in learning. Although I can't download pictures for the blog, so you won't be getting that somewhat pretencious message ("sent from my ipad") on this message.
**Circle of Life: MJ, a very vivacious and prominent member of the Pelican Rapids community passed away last week. Her funeral and celebration of life POTLUCK (love this idea!) was yesterday. It was "good" to be able to be present for that event, yet I didn't want to be there anymore than the other 300+ people who were mourning her passing. A true example of someone who loves life and shares her passion. RIP Lady
**Getting things in the water: Cabin ownership comes with responsibilities that include cleaning up the mouse turds (not many), opening up the windows, airing out the bedding AND (my favorite!) putting the docks and watercraft in the water. Since we only do these things once a year, sometimes we forget how to do things or what NOT to do. Ask David sometime about how he shouldn't leave on the hot water switch when there isn't any water in the tank.
Oops. Oh well, we do our best to support our local plummer.
**Coffee, Laughter and More Coffee: Again this summer, I've done my best to keep the local coffee shop in business. You know it's bad when I start getting phone calls there (the owners refer to it as my "summer office"). But sitting on the deck, laughing with friends, catching up, trying to solve the world's problems, it's just a part of the summer ritual.
**And the FUN continues: Okay, I just received a hollar (the normal way of communicating here) from David that indicates I need to be outside and help with some sort of maintence issues. Usually that means I supervise while he does the work, but it's good to know that I'm needed.
Such is the Life...and the Life is GOOD!!
PS To Uncle Doug...get up here soon. We Miss you!

No comments: