Saturday, May 30, 2009

One of the Funkiest..

adventures I've had in Kuwait happened recently when the AWARE center offered a "Trip to a Unique Kuwaiti Home". As I haven't had the tutoring experiences that David has had, I haven't visted any homes. So of course I was up for the opportunity.

Little did I know it was going to be quite so unique. The owner, a fine Kuwait gentleman who has MANY interests, opened up his museum like home to a small group of inquiring minds. He describes himself as a "Collector of Collections".

I can't even begin to describe his home...12 marble busts in the front lawn (including the one of Lady Liberty herself), small fish pond, armored "guard" at the front door, 12 chandelliers in the living room, over 20 HUGE famous art reproductions on the walls (about 40 feet in the air), dozens of collections of everything from Coca Cola, to Walt Disney figurines, to steam engines, to books on Astronomy.

It was a breathtaking experience. These four pictures can't even do it justice.

I believe he is a brilliant man who likes to keep busy. And he's got the resources to do so. He's a bit shy so talking with him was a little like trying to speak to maybe Bill Gates (not that I've ever done that). You've got a lot of questions, but you don't know where to start and he's not offering to help you out!

My father, who was a flea marketer for 17 years, would have loved this experience and probably could have sold him something. My mother just would have shaken her head and said "uffda".




No comments: