Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I Sing because I'm Happy


It was a busy weekend for the Wagner family. There was a 70th birthday (HBD Sis Marcie)and "50th" wedding anniversary (Deano and Marcie),the birth of a new babe (Welcome Sydnie!),and wedding (congrats Di and GB). These are very exciting events, well deserving of a loud ALLELUIA! and loud applause of celebration and family praise!

But it isn't these familiar events that I am "singing about". Recently I was able to spend time with my "other" brothers and sisters. Relationships I've created over the past 30 years. These "Adopted Siblings" came to me through experiences in 4-H and Mankato State University.

None of these family members live near me. In order to connect in person, it takes planning, checking schedules and usually effort on my part to drive hours to see them. But these visits were worth the gas--even at $4 per gallon. Every contact time was full of life and joy. Each quality conversation was deep, rich and affirming. I feel so supported in our new adventure--even with Ellen who gave that straight look in the eye and bluntly asked "Now-- WHY KUWAIT?" I left each meeting feeling very loved and impressed with my friends (as always!) Quality People like these just don't drop out of the sky...I feel so blessed to have them in my life.

Over the years they've tried to tell me that it's be of MY energies and ability to keep in touch that we have remained close even tho we don't see each other often. But I know it's because of who they are and that they allowed me to get to know them. In short, I choose to adopt them and they agreed to "sign the papers".

Initially I was scared that my new Kuwait experience wouldn't bring me any friends (thanks Vonda for for proving that fear false!).I know we will make new and fast friends who share our interests and adventuresome spirit. We will probably add people to our lifetime friends list. We will not starve emotionally in our new country.

But especially my Long MN Goodbye Tour visits, I realize that "Siblings" cannot be made in just two years. While I cannot take each of you with me to Kuwait (and because there is no beer there, some of you would not want to go!)-- I will take you in my heart.

SO-here's to Kevin, Jenna and Fam, Jim, Jan and Troy and the entire Sanders family, Bob, Ron and Marcia, Ellen and Steve and Britta, Lianne and Millie, Lewis, Carol and Mike (who weren't there but allowed me to stay in their beautiful home). I know I am always WELCOME in your lives and hearts. You feel like family to me.

And if I could sing, I would serenade you with a favorite Bob tune
"Troubled for You" especially the chorus:
I've troubled for you from time to time
That's why nothing new can break the bind
It's the time you waste for them, makes a friend a friend
Unique in all the world until the end


Always remember
You are loved

No comments: